Step-by-step guide

Special note: ƻԺ's online application for admission is not compatible with Internet Explorerand is best completed with the latest version of Google, Chrome, Safari for Mac, Firefox or Edge.

View a printable step-by-step guide to applying online [PDF]


How to access and login to the online application system.

1. New student or current student?

New students

If you are applying to ƻԺ for the first time (i.e., you are not already a ƻԺ student), click "".

Current ƻԺ students

Current ƻԺ students can apply directly through the applicant menu inand will not have to create a new Login ID and PIN.

Transfer and readmission

ƻԺ undergraduate students who have not graduated and wish to transfer into another faculty (Inter-Faculty), change their program within their current faculty (Intra-Faculty), or apply for readmission after a period of absence, can apply through the Student menu in Minerva. See Inter/Intra faculty transfer and readmission for more information.

Note:Students may not use the Minerva Inter-Faculty Transfer application to transfer to the following faculties: Dentistry, Law, Medicine and Continuing Studies. Students wishing to apply to Law must consulttheFaculty's websitefor details on how to apply. If you wish to apply toDentistry, Medicine and Continuing Studies you must apply using the online application under the Minerva Applicant menu.

2. Create or enter your login ID

Create or enter your Login ID: If this is your first visit to ƻԺ's online application, you will need to create a unique Login ID and personal identification number (PIN). To do this, simply enter them in the appropriate fields and click Continue.

Your Login ID and PIN can contain any combination of letters, numbers, and selected punctuation. Your Login ID must be at least five characters long, while your PIN must be a minimum of 6 characters to a maximum of 18 characters, and contain at least one number and one letter. For security reasons, it's important to pick a PIN that's hard to guess.

The Login ID and PIN are only used for the application process. They are not used to access information once you have been assigned a ƻԺ ID.

You need to use the same Login ID and PIN every time you log on, otherwise you will need to start a new application.


Instructions for entering information in the application.

Enter your biographical information

Enter your name and other personal information in the appropriate fields. Mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

When entering your name, ensure that you addcorrect accents, and that you use upper and lowercase spelling, so that your name matches yourtranscripts and other documents.

Your legal name is the name shown on one or more of the followingdocuments:

  • Birth or Baptismal Certificate
  • Canadian Immigration Record of Landing (IMM1000)
  • Canadian Immigration Student Authorization document
  • Canadian or International Passport (a Canadian Citizenship card is also acceptable)
  • Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ)
  • Court order approving a legal change
  • Letter from Consulate or Attestation by a Commissioner of Oaths

You must provide your former legal name (forexample, your family name before marriage) if it hasappeared on previous academic records or otherofficial documents.

Apply for admission

Enter your application choices, usingthe information below as a guide.Please fill out this section carefully as you cannot changeit later on. ƻԺ's online application system automaticallydisplays program choices based on the application type, term,level of education, and citizenship status that you select. If youmake a mistake, you will not see the correct program choices,and you will have to complete a new application.

a) Citizenship
Indicate whether you are a Canadian citizen ora permanent resident of Canada.

b) Educational background
Select the highest level ofeducation you will have achieved before starting your programat ƻԺ. Typically, this is high school or CEGEP. See the tablebelow if you require more information on which level to choose.

If you are applying to ƻԺ while stillcompleting high school, select High School Diploma.If you are applying during the second year ofQuebec CEGEP, select CEGEP Diploma (DEC).Do not select the level of education you plan topursue at ƻԺ.

It is important to complete this section correctly.If incorrect, the review of your application may bedelayed.

Click here for help on which level of education you should select.

Level of EducationLast Completed


Less than High SchoolDiploma

Only select this level if you do notmeet ƻԺ's minimum requirementsbut you qualify as a mature student.

High School Diploma

Select this option if you havecompleted or will complete your highschool diploma, an InternationalBaccalaureate Diploma, orAS/A-Level prior to commencingstudies at ƻԺ.

Do not select "High School Diploma" ifyou have completed or will complete aFrench Baccalaureate, a CEGEPdiploma, or at least one year ofcollege or university study prior tocommencing studies at ƻԺ.


Select this option if you havecompleted or will complete a technicalor vocational diploma at the highschool level prior to commencing studies at ƻԺ.

French Baccalaureate

Select this option if you havecompleted or will complete a FrenchBaccalaureate prior to commencingstudies at ƻԺ. This includesapplicants from Collège Stanislas andCollège Marie de France in Montreal.

German Abitur

Select this option if you havecompleted or will complete a GermanAbitur prior to commencing studies atƻԺ.

CEGEP Diploma (DEC)

Select this option if you havecompleted or will complete a Quebecdiplôme d'études collégiales(DEC) ora joint IB/DEC prior to commencingstudies at ƻԺ.

College (non-CEGEP)Studies

Select this option if you havecompleted or will complete at leastone year of studies at a communitycollege outside the province ofQuebec prior to commencing studiesat ƻԺ.

University (at least oneyear)

Select this option if you havecompleted or will complete at leastone year of studies at a university(including ƻԺ) prior tocommencing the program you areapplying for.


Select this option if you havecompleted a bachelor's degree orequivalent prior to commencingstudies at ƻԺ.

Master's Degree

Select this option if you havecompleted a master's degree prior tocommencing studies at ƻԺ.


Select this option if you havecompleted a Ph.D. prior tocommencing studies at ƻԺ.

c) Depending on what you selected above, you might see additionalchoices about IB and AS/A-Levels. Unless you will have completedan IB diploma or certificate, or the AS/A-Levels, select None of theAbove.

d) Education category
Select the region where you received yourhighest level of education before coming to ƻԺ. This list willchange depending on your previous selections. Click on the help link in the top-right hand corner for more information.

It is very important to select the correct educationcategory and we highly recommend referring to thehelp link at the top-right hand corner if you are not sure about your category.

e) Application type
Select Undergraduate/Professional.

This document applies only to undergraduate/professional programs at ƻԺ. For all otherprograms, please refer to the appropriatedocumentation for information.

f) Term
Select the term you wish to enter ƻԺ. Typically, this isthe next Fall semester.

Mature status

You may be able to apply as a Maturestudent. Different faculties have different definitions for Maturestudent eligibility.

  • Schulich School of Music: 21 years of age at time of registration.

  • Other undergraduate programs: 23 years at a time of registration and have not completed college or university level studies within the last five years that would constitute a basis for admission. You must also have completed a minimum number of appropriate courses (prerequisites) within the three-year period prior to admission.

Program selection

Select at least one faculty,program, and major.

If your choices do not appear in the pull-downmenus, it may be that the application deadlines havepassed for the selected term, the programs are not offered for the selected term, or the applicationrequirements have not been met.

  • Music applicants
    Prospective students applying to someprograms in the Schulich School of Music are required tocomplete a live audition. More information about auditions isavailable on theMusic website.

  • Alternate program choice
    After you’ve made your firstselection, you can also select an alternate program choice. Insome cases, you may be required to select an alternateprogram.

  • Information messages may appear with details on what youare required to do. Messages will differ depending on whatyou have selected. If two program choices are selected, you will receive a responsefrom each program separately. However, if you are accepted to bothprograms, you may only register in one.

    You will not be able to change your faculty orprogram selections once you have pressed theContinue button. To change your program choice,you will need to create a new application. However,you can create a new application using the sameLogin ID and PIN.

Address information

  • Address Line 1, City, and Country are required.

  • Enter using upper case and lower case letters. Do not use the pound sign (#) or the percent sign (%).

  • To enter a state or province for an international address, include it in the City field.

  • You must enter a valid e-mail address, as the University will send important information related to your application to this account, including notifications on tracking the status of your application, missing documents, and the admission decision.

    If your mailing or e-mail address changes after you submit your application, it is important that you update it on Minerva so that ƻԺ correspondence can be sent to your correct address.

Personal information

  • Citizenship
    If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you need permission from the provincial and federal governments to study at ƻԺ. Immigration Quebec must issue a Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) and Immigration Canada must grant a Study Permit.Click on the help link in the top-right hand corner for more information.

  • Quebec students: Permanent code
    If you are a resident of the province of Quebec with a Permanent Code issued by the Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport du Québec (MELS), you must enter it here. This is not your Medicare card number. The Permanent Code is found on Quebec high school and CEGEP transcripts, and on transcripts from some Quebec universities.

  • First Nations, Inuit, and Métis applicants
    You may select the checkbox indicating that you are First Nations, Inuit, or Métis.
    Providing this information is optional. It will help us keep you informed of student services, and help us improve our service to students from First Nations, Inuit, and Métis communities. For more information, see Indigenous applicants.

Employment and non-academic activities

If you have been out of school for more than three months, include details about your employment, volunteer work, or other activities.

Disclosure information

If you wish others to make enquiries on your behalf concerning the status of your application (such as a family member, school counselor, etc), it is necessary for you to authorize release of information by naming these individuals in this section of your application. Otherwise, Service Point will not be able to release information to the third party about the status of your application.

Additional information

In this section, advise us of your interest to be considered for residence accommodation at ƻԺ, and any sport(s) for which you are interested in team try-outs. This is also where you would indicate that you wish to report Extenuating circumstances.

High school history

(some applications only)

Enter your high school history information. You may not have all of the information when you submit your application.

  • OUAC Number (applications from Ontario high schools)
    If you do not have your OUAC number when you submit your ƻԺ application, leave this field blank (do not enter an incorrect number). When you know the number, you can log on to and enter it later. If you enter an incorrect number, please submit your changes to ƻԺ via the webform for Undergraduate Applicants.

  • High School Record
    Search through the pull-down menu of schools, depending on the country and province/state selected. Please do not manually enter your school name if it appears in the list.

Quebec college history

(applicants from CEGEPs and from Collège Stanislas and Collège international Marie de France in Montreal)

If you attended a Quebec CEGEP, including Collège Marie de France and Collège Stanislas, enter details about the college or CEGEP and program type.

Education information

In previous screens, you might have indicated that you attended more than one school. In the Education Level field, you must select the school that corresponds to the degree/diploma/certificate awarded. For example, if you attended two high schools, select the high school from which you received your diploma.

If the school you graduated from is not listed, you might have forgotten to add it. Navigate back to the High School, CEGEP, College, or University information page and add the school.

IB Programs

If you indicated that you were completing an IB diploma or certificate you will be prompted to enter your IB personal code and course details. Your IB personal code is three letters followed by three numbers.

Course history

If you have taken or are planning to take any night, distance, or summer courses that will not appear on your official transcripts, enter the course details here.

Tests taken

If you have taken standardized testing, such as SAT, ACT, Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), enter this information here.

If you have not taken any tests, you must scroll down and select the checkbox marked "I have no tests to report."

  • External Test Results
    Please note that ƻԺ receives TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, ACT, and AP test results electronically. Ensure that the personal information you provide to the examination board matches the information you provide to ƻԺ. If there is a discrepancy in personal information, we will not be able to match your electronic results.

    For further information or assistance, contact Service Point via the webform for Undergraduate Applicants.

Music letter of recommendation/Music audition

Applicants to the Schulich School of Music must enter details about repertoire and studies concerning voice or their instrument of choice.

  • Applicants are asked to have their music teacher undergraduateadmissions.music [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Letter%20of%20Recommendation) (email) a letter of recommendation.

  • In addition to the letter of recommendation, applicants to the concurrent B.Mus./B.Ed. program are asked to have a teacher undergraduateadmissions.music [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Music%20Education%20Support%20Letter) (email) a music education support letter. The letter should comment on an applicant's potential as a music educator.

  • Applicants to the Bachelor of Music and Licentiate programs also need to perform an entrance audition. Visit the Music websitefor more details on audition.


To change information, go back to the Confirmation page and use the links on the left side of the screen to navigate to the sections that you need to change.

You cannot change your program choice. If you selected the wrong program choice, you must start a new application. However, you can use the same Login ID and PIN to create a new application.

Submitting your application

Once you click Submit, you will be asked to enter payment information.Theapplication feeis payable by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)and isnon-refundable.

The credit card used to pay your application fee does not need to be in your name. For example, if you do not have your own credit card, a relative or guardian’s card will be accepted.

Our e-payment service is highly secure. Your credit card information will be passed instantly to the payment gateway operated by Moneris Solutions, which handles 80% of all credit card transactions processed in Canada.

Extenuating circumstances

In the rare event that extenuating circumstances have had a negative impact on your academic performance, you have an opportunity to report on these when you submit your application. Note that this is likely to delay your admission decision somewhat. Extenuating circumstances may include: significant medical, personal or learning difficulties encountered, the death or grave illness of someone close to you, a family move during the school year or involvement in training for high-level athletics or performing arts.If you wish to report Extenuating Circumstances, you must submit a descriptive statement and substantiating documentation. Consult Extenuating circumstances for instructions.

The additional information you provide will be taken into consideration along with your academic record. Please bear in mind that admission to ƻԺ is highly competitive for all, including applicants claiming extenuating circumstances.

Confirmation e-mail

Following successful payment of your application fee, you should receive an e-mail acknowledgment confirming that your application has been received. It's important to check your e-mail regularly (including your junk mail folder), as we'll send updates on the status of your application to the address you've provided. To make sure you receive our e-mails, add the ƻԺ domain (@mcgill.ca) to the safe senders list in your e-mail program.

If you don't receive a confirmation e-mail within 48 hours, you should contact Service Point. Please do not submit a new application.

Mistakes on your application

If you realize that there is a mistake on your application after you’ve submitted it, contact Service Point. We will make the necessary change – please do not submit a new application.

Credit card not accepted?

If your credit card is not accepted, click the Try Again button to go back to the payment page. Verify the information, correct it, or enter information from a different card. If you are still experiencing problems, please contact Service Point

Uploading documents

How to upload documents on Minerva

  1. Log in to using your ID number and your PIN.

    Once you have completed an admissions application, you will receive an e-mail containing details on how to access Minerva.

  2. Select the Applicant menu.

  3. Select ƻԺ Application Status.

    You canview your application details underApplications Processed and Under Review.

  4. Choose an application.

    Select your application of interest under the Admission Term link as shown below.

    Applications Processed and Under Review

    Admission Term



    Major or Subject

    Date Created

    Fall 2012 Faculty of Arts B Arts Freshman Program Sept 06, 2011

Application and Documentation Status page

  1. Review the summary of your application, which includes a Checklist section showing supporting documents required.An upload link will appear only for documents that can be uploaded on .
  2. Choose a checklist requirement and click the Upload link. This brings you to the ƻԺ Document Upload page, which displays information about the document you are uploading as well as the size, format and number of versions allowed, as shown below.
Checklist Information
Special Instructions:
Document will be attached to:
Number of versions allowed:
Maximum Size:
File formats allowed:
Not Applicable
All your program choices for Fall 2023.
Single version – no updates are allowed.

There may be a delay, particularlyduring busy periods,between when you upload your document(s) and when the respective checklist items are updated inMinerva. System maintenance and downtimes may also keep your documents "In progress" for longer than usual. If you encounter difficulties with uploading your documents, or if your submitted documents stay "In progress" for several working days, please contactService Pointfor assistance.


There are three steps in the upload process. For detailed instructions on how to complete the steps, click Helpin the menuor click on the "?"icon.

Once you have successfully uploaded your documents you will need to check your application status regularly. If there is an issue with a document you uploaded you will see a message and will have to upload a new document. You must resubmit the document as soon as possible to avoid jeopardizing the review of your application.

Once a decision has been made on your file, document uploading will be more restricted.

Back to top